You can probably name several foods that are poisonous for your
pets, like chocolate or onions, but there are many more items in your pantry
and refrigerator that can cause animals serious problems. Here’s
a list of some of the more surprising
human foods you should never give your pet.
Nuts like almonds, pecans, and walnuts can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and
even pancreatitis in pets due to the high amount of oils and fats they
contain. Macadamia nuts can cause the same symptoms plus weakness, depression,
tremors, and hyperthermia. Peanuts are technically legumes, not nuts,
so peanut butter is still a safe treat for your dog!
Grapes & Raisins
It is currently unknown why grapes and raisins are toxic to pets, but the
effects can be fatal. Avoid feeding these fruits to your pets, because
they are known to lead to kidney failure in dogs.
Citrus & Coconut
Citrus fruits contain citric acid, which can cause irritation and even
central nervous system depression if eaten in large amounts. Coconut contains
oils that can cause stomach upset and loose stools. Citrus and coconut
don’t typically hurt animals when given in small amounts, but you
should exercise caution if you decide to let your pets eat them.
Yeast dough can continue to rise inside your pet’s digestive system,
which leads to painful bloating and potentially twisting of the stomach,
which is a life threatening emergency. Yeast also produces ethanol, a
type of alcohol, which can give your pet the effects of drunkenness.
Most animals have very little lactase, the enzyme that helps digest milk,
so dairy products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset.
Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs, & Bones
Raw and undercooked meat and eggs are dangerous to pets for the same reason
they are to humans-they contain harmful bacteria like Salmonella and E.
coli. Despite the common association, raw bones are not good for dogs.
They can choke on them or have them splinter and puncture the digestive tract.
Too much salt consumption can lead to excessive thirst and urination, and
even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Effects of too much salt include vomiting,
diarrhea, depression, tremors, fever, seizures, and even death. Avoid
giving pets salty snacks like potato chips and pretzels.
If you have recently lost a pet in the DFW area,
Faithful Friends Pet Cemetery & Crematory is here to support you. We can help with everything from urns to funeral
planning. You can visit us online or call us at (817) 779-3222 to learn more.